+91-11-25 724 786

Spouse Visa

Australian spouse visa

Australian spouse visa

The partner visa (subclasses 820 and 801) or the Australian spouse visa allows the de facto partner or the spouse of someone who is an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen, to live in Australia. In certain circumstances, this visa can also be granted after the partner relationship has ended.

The first stage is obtaining a temporary partner visa (subclass 820), after which one may get a permanent partner visa (subclass 801). The applicant must be present in Australia at the time of applying for the Visa and when the decision is given. To apply for a temporary and then permanent Australian spouse visa, you need to fill only one form and pay only one application fee. The application processing will be done in two parts, almost two years apart.

The temporary visa lets you:

  • Stay, study, and work in Australia, till the time the decision is made about the permanent visa
  • Enroll in the Australian scheme for health-related expenses and care, Medicare

Dependent children can be included in the visa application, and they too must be in Australia at the time you apply.

Being granted a permanent visa lets you:

  • Stay, study, and work in Australia indefinitely
  • Eligible candidates may apply for Australian citizenship
  • You may sponsor any eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Receive social security payments
  • You may also travel to and from the country for five years from the Visa grant date, after which you will require another visa to enter


You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. The fee and charges can be checked out here. Other charges may include costs of health assessment, certificates, or any other tests that you are required to take. The main requirement for applying under this category is that you must be the de facto partner or spouse of:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen

Need further assistance with an Australian Spouse Visa? Get in touch with us so that we can help address your specific queries and concerns.

Enquiry / Counselling